In May of 1954, Abbott Pattison completed what was to be the 2nd of five sculptures during his residency at the University of Georgia.  The Iron Horse, an abstract rendering of a riderless horse, was a 12 ft tall steel structure.  It was so large it had to be altered to move it from the studio where it was constructed.  After it was placed on the concrete slab that was to be its home, students began to gather.  The students multiplied as did their rage.  The piece was so despised a riot ensued.  By 2 o’clock in the morning the students were so violent the horse was removed.  Many years after the initial riot Jack Curtis and his father reclaimed the horse and placed on their family farm.  It remains there and has become a symbol for the university.  Exactly what that symbol signifies is unclear.  The violence is somewhat forgotten and the facts of its history remain a mystery to many.  In our class we attempted to retrace the history of the Iron Horse and we made proposals for public art in response to it.

mary stuart hallmary_stuart_hall.html
jack curtis interviewJackCurtis.html
the iron horse